My Relationship with Music [NEW YEAR's RESOLUTION]

11:54 PM


Well, maybe I should say this music therapist’s relationship with music? It’s all personal, I guess. My relationship with music has been like every relationship really… it has had it’s highs and lows, I have great memories, not-so-great memories and no matter what has happened between me and music through the years I’ve learned a lot about myself through the process. It really shouldn’t really surprise me that i have learned a lot about myself through my relationship with music because that’s exactly what MUSIC THERAPY is… having a relationship with music in order to achieve personal growth. so music.. it isn't just a sound to me. it is a comfort. it has the power to pull me where it wants to go. It understands me when people don't and when you hear that 5 minute song that can take you to an event in your life. and make you feel those emotions and have them swirling around in your body.. and even when they are bad emotions.. you still feel very much alive. so how is it... that i feel.. that comfortably numb! that listening to a song that has so much meaning brings me nothing. it is like falling out with a best friend. because to me, music is a best friend. and depression is enemy/torture.. and i want this torture to end please. I find listening to music and going into my own world really helps me when I am feeling bad. That is how I get through my Nightshifts. You can learn so much about people by the music they listen to and their relationship to it.

I have always prided myself as being an eclectic music producer and music appreciator. I like almost any kind of music and I think my varied tastes reflect my personality and mirrors what I am going through emotionally at the time. Music has been important to me throughout my life; it carries me through struggles and helps to frame milestones and transitions.

Everyone has a story, heres is mine..

I started playing music at my teenage and formed my first band at high school. I listened to many of the alternative bands and bollywood music as well. but when i entered in theatre study after schooling, somehow i stopped playing music, because that time i got into a new different world with lot of othermore things to play with. but music was still with me, while learning different parameters and art forms of theatre, i composed music for plays and wrote some songs as well. during my 3 year theatre study, I explored and created a unique sound by using synthesizers.

Drawing on my background as a storyteller, I often uses music to influence my visual style, pacing, and technique. With every project, my goal has always been to: "impact my audience through dramatic, compelling, and cinematic experiences." I composed background scores myself for my short films which received numerous awards in best music category at various film festivals. 

Now fast forward 3 years later and yes, I still listen to a lot of alternative bands. It’s funny because I automatically classify those bands as cool and acceptable. But any other bands that are not in that category, I feel like I am back in high school and I have to hide that I like them or I have to justify why I like them. but there is only one band who has influenced me a lot and planted a new seed in my musical brain. that was THE PINK FLOYDSOUND. after listening to PINK FLOYD, i use to listen all tracks on repeat mode from the discography, because I think its not that easy to understand what kind of music they played, what the song is all about and what does that mean even, I found out that there's a philosophical touch in the lyrics and psychedelic elements in their music, and somehow it didn't let me sleep at nights. and i explored bunch of music videos and documentaries about PINK FLOYD. they were full of angst and their powerful songs were intoxicating. These artists and their music helped me through difficult years; I felt like someone really understood what I was going through and it made me feel powerful. I was and I am heavily influenced by PINK FLOYD and at the same time I was discovering all these amazing bands from classic rock era of 60s and 70s. Parallel, i started my music again. off-course, now it won't sound like the music i played at high school but it is something that bloomed my mind. i use to make music days-n-nights but still something was missing, its like i can sense, i know the feeling and the tone of that sound but it use to take lot of time to come out on the keys. so finally i have decided to join a formal study in music.. LEARNING MUSIC.

Its been so long, i wanted to do it but somehow i couldn't. but in this new year I finally took the time to go to music classes. i would be studing staff notations at musician's alley. it starts from TODAY ONLY! so my new year's resolution is... sticking to MUSIC while i am busy with filming and editing.

Music is a big part of my life and always has been so I think it is time for me to realize that my tastes in music and my relationship to it has changed because I have changed. The majority of the music I used to listen to helped me express and make sense of intense feelings and emotions. Now that I am getting older and mellowing out, I notice that I now need my music to reflect my happiness and make me feel light, which is probably why my tastes are so varied.

... and so music is therapy for me and I am in relationship with MUSIC. Peace out!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Contact Form